A huge variety of toothpaste types are available in stores, making the decision to purchase toothpaste overwhelming. When shopping for the best toothpaste, you should make sure you choose ingredients that make you healthier, says ADA spokesperson Erinne Kennedy, DMD. “As a dentist who represents the ADA, I want to make sure that you pick the best toothpaste that works for you and your mouth” To keep your mouth healthy and free of diseases, Dr. Kennedy recommends using toothpaste containing fluoride and hydrogen peroxide.
Check out our list of the best toothpaste on the market.
Our 5 Favorite Toothpaste
Top 10 Best Toothpaste Reviews
1. 6 oz. White toothpaste with fluoride from Colgate
- Fluoride toothpaste fights and protects against cavities for healthier teeth
- Clinically proven to strengthen teeth enamel and cleans teeth thoroughly
- Anti-cavity toothpaste with a great mint taste leaves mouth feeling fresh and clean; the mint ingredient is sourced from American mint farmers
- American Dental Association (ADA) accepted and trusted by dentists for over 45 years
- Gluten free toothpaste formula
Fluoride toothpaste fights and protects against cavities for healthier teeth. Our fluoride toothpaste offers advanced anti-cavity protection and is trusted to be safe by dentists for over 45 years. This fluoride toothpaste washes away harmful plaque, preventing cavities with a fresh, mouthwatering mint flavor for a healthy smile. Our gluten-free toothpaste formula is great for anyone who wants healthy teeth and gums.
2. Sanidal Fluoride and Zinc Toothpaste, Colgate Total Whitening
- Breakthrough formula
- Whitening toothpaste that removes and prevents new stains
- Fights bacteria on teeth, tongue, cheeks and gums for whole mouth healthy
- Mint toothpaste for long lasting fresh breath
- Helps prevent plaque, tartar, cavities and gingivitis
Colgate Total SF Whitening Toothpaste fights bacteria and offers sensitivity relief to help boost your whole-mouth health. The breakthrough stannous fluoride toothpaste formula whitens teeth, removes stains, and prevents them in three ways: a dentist-strength formula that penetrates deep between teeth then surrounds and reaches back to the surface of the tooth, plus an active ingredient that attacks dark spots on teeth and helps prevent stains from forming.
3. Sensitive teeth enamel toothpaste that gently whitens teeth
- Three 4 oz tubes of Sensodyne Pronamel Gentle Teeth Whitening Enamel Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth, to Reharden and Strengthen Enamel - Packaging May Vary
- Acid erosion toothpaste that delivers minerals into the enamel layer to protect your teeth from acid erosion caused by acidic foods and drinks
- Sensitivity toothpaste that protects your teeth from pain triggers like temperature changes, acids, sweets or contact
- Strong enamel toothpaste that offers effective protection against cavities and improves your overall tooth enamel health
- Sensitive enamel toothpaste specially formulated to gently polish away stains, restoring the natural whiteness of your teeth
Sensodyne Pronamel Gentle Teeth Whitening Enamel Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth is a 3-pack of 4 oz tubes formulated to help you protect your teeth from acid erosion and help repair daily damage. It is an effective toothpaste, delivering minerals directly onto your enamel to help strengthen it against further damage. This toothpaste can help eliminate pain triggers caused by temperature changes, sweets, sugar, or even contact. Refreshing breath and smooth teeth are just a brush away when using these minty whitening tooth cleansers.
4. CREST + SCOPE Total WHITE Toothpaste
- Includes three 5.4 oz cartons of Crest + Scope Complete Whitening Toothpaste
- Kills millions of bad breath germs in laboratory tests
- Fights cavities and tartar
- Gently removes surface stains for whiter teeth
- Strengthens enamel
Crest Scope Complete Whitening combines Scope freshness with the benefits of Crest toothpaste to give you a clean, refreshing experience. By combining the power of Crest with Scope freshness, this whitening toothpaste gently polishes and whitens your teeth and helps prevent cavities and tartar build-up. It freshens breath by killing billions of bad breath germs that can leave your mouth feeling minty after brushing. This teeth whitening toothpaste removes surface stains while helping to fight plaque.
5. Crown Toothpaste Gum Detoxify Deep Clean
- The #1 Toothpaste Brand in America. *P&G calculation based on U.S. reported sales data for yr ending w/o 12/26/20
Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean toothpaste kills harmful plaque bacteria that can lurk around your gum line, even around the gum line, for a clean, healthy mouth. You’ll feel the difference with our inactive ingredient, 1% Pyrithione zinc. The secret to its premium quality is our fluid-activated formula. The micro-foam penetrates hard-to-reach places to neutralize plaque and freshens breath by cooling gums during and after brushing.
6. Crest Fresh White Whitening Toothpaste with Breath Strips
- Freshness That Lasts for Hours
- Packed with Hundreds of Mini Breath Strips
- Fluoride Toothpaste to Fight Cavities
- Teeth Whitening Toothpaste, Removes Surface Stains
- Sugar Free, Gluten Free
Max Fresh Toothpaste With Breath Strips is formulated with a breakthrough toothpaste formula that combats cavities. This great-tasting Max toothpaste with breath strips gives you a powerful clean using the contents of mini breath strips for long-lasting freshness. Colgate Max toothpaste with breath strips helps whiten teeth and invigorate your brushing experience. This Colgate Max Fresh Toothpaste is a favorite amongst adult consumers and includes the benefits of having just taken a mint.
7. Crescendo Advanced Deep Clean Toothpaste
- Includes 8 key benefits: Cavities, Gingivitis, Enamel, Sensitivity, Plaque, Tartar, Whitening, Freshens Breath
- Deep cleaning formula
- Healthier gums by helping prevent gingivitis
- Stronger teeth by strengthening enamel
- Continues to work between brushings
Crest Pro-Health Advanced Deep Clean Mint Toothpaste penetrates and attacks the plaque and bacteria in your mouth, starting to clean beyond what you can see. With continued use, Advanced Deep Clean helps keep your mouth healthy so you’ll experience a clean feeling and fresh breath. This toothpaste provides up to 24-hour protection, so you can stay confident knowing your teeth are protected throughout the day.
8. Crown 3D Glamorous White & Mint Toothpaste
- Removes up to 80 Percent of surface stains in 3 days
- Protects against future stains
- Enamel safe fluoride toothpaste to help prevent cavities
- Vibrant Mint flavor.
- Adults and children 2 yrs and above
Crest 3D White Glamorous White White Strips Removes up to 80% of surface stains in 3 days whilst also protecting against future staining Reinforces your tooth enamel and helps remove harmful plaque from the surface of your teeth, safeguarding you from dental cavities and gum disease Works with a patented combination of ingredients to help protect from the ways discoloration develops
9. Hello Fluoride Toothpaste with Natural Whitening
- Contains four 4.7 ounce tubes of hello naturally whitening fluoride toothpaste
- Thoughtfully formulated with a calcium mineral blend that naturally whitens teeth. Its farm grown, super-peppy peppermint and tea tree oil tame bad breath, and coconut oil moisturizes for extra friendliness
- This toothpaste whitens naturally and gently prevents cavities, strengthens enamel, and provides mind-blowing freshness
- Hello naturally whitening fluoride toothpaste is peroxide free, dye free, SLS free, paraben free, triclosan free, preservative free, and gluten free. hello toothpastes also contain no artificial sweeteners and no artificial flavors. No brainer
- Choose friendly. hello is vegan, never tested on animals (Leaping Bunny Certified) and made in the USA. Brush and greet freely
Naturally whiter teeth in just two weeks when you try Hello Naturally Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste, one of the best-selling and most trusted fluoride toothpaste on Amazon. The Hello Naturally 4-Piece Whitening Toothpaste Set contains four 4.7 oz tubes of toothpaste formulated with a calcium mineral blend that naturally whitens while preventing cavities, strengthening enamel, and providing mind-blowing freshness. This toothpaste also contains no peroxide, dye, SLS, paraben, triclosan, preservative, or gluten. Simply brush and greet freely!
10. Wicked Fresh Fluoride Toothpaste from Tom’s of Maine
- WHAT YOU'LL GET: Two 4.7-ounce tubes of Tom's of Maine Wicked Fresh! Natural Toothpaste with Fluoride in Spearmint Flavor
- FRESHENS BREATH: Licorice root extract helps block bad breath germs for fresh breath
- CAVITY PROTECTION: Fluoride toothpaste cleans and strengthens teeth to promote a healthier mouth
- SMILE WITH TOM'S: Clinically proven to freshen breath and fight cavities
- NATURAL & RESPONSIBLE: Contains no artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors or flavors and is not tested on animals
Tom’s of Maine is Wicked Fresh! Fluoride Toothpaste is natural toothpaste that contains no artificial colors, sweeteners, or preservatives. This brushed-on toothpaste is uniquely flexible with the right amount of “tooth” to help clean teeth and freshen breath at the same time. The fluoride in Tom’s of Maine is Wicked Fresh! Fluoride toothpaste helps strengthen enamel and fight cavities to promote a healthier smile. Spread the goodness with Tom’s of Maine Wicked Fresh! Fluoride toothpaste, while also cleaning and protecting your mouth.
How to Choose a Toothpaste
We have tested each product through multiple steps to ensure that it is one of the best possible purchases available. The leading toothpaste was tested the following way:
It is unlikely that you will want to use toothpaste twice a day if it tastes terrible. We preferred those that had a fresh, clean taste and got rid of morning breath rather than specific flavorings (except for kids), and we preferred items that weren’t overpowering.
This toothpaste has the least watery or thick consistency so that you can easily move it around your mouth and reach all of your teeth.
Packaging plays a crucial role for something so frequently used. Considerations included whether it was easy to unscrew the top (without losing the cap) and whether the tube could sit upright on the counter, which would take up less space.
Additives and ingredients
In our society, we are pushing to get rid of additives, including parabens, from products we consume, and toothpaste is not an exception. Our experts discussed fluoride use with us as well, and we looked towards natural ingredients where possible.
The key active ingredient Huang recommends looking for is this one. According to her, it remineralizes early cavities and strengthens teeth enamel.
Are you looking for fluoride-free toothpaste? This is Huang’s recommended method for remineralizing teeth.
The ingredient in your toothpaste may help to reduce tooth sensitivity, so look out for it if you suffer from it.
Both Huang and Robb warn against using this toothpaste ingredient, saying that it can damage enamel over time and be too abrasive. The researchers also point out that it has no proven benefits.
How to pick out toothpaste?
Choose toothpaste based on your oral health goals
It is important to seek out toothpaste that contains ingredients that are appropriate for your own oral health goals. The problem is often evident, such as sensitivity to hot or cold or yellowing of the teeth. However, other health problems, such as gum recession, demineralization, or a tendency to get cavities, are only noticed by your dentist.
Ingredients that are helpful
Dr. Field recommends calcium phosphate toothpaste if you’re looking to remineralize, calling it one of the most effective ingredients, as it helps strengthen the tooth structure. Those with sensitive teeth should look for desensitizing agents, such as potassium, sodium fluoride, and potassium nitrate. Fluoride toothpaste may also be of interest to some people, but Dr. Field (along with a few of our experts) doesn’t necessarily view it as a “must-have” for everyone. The antibacterial properties and plaque-prevention abilities of fluoride have long been known. Dr. Field describes it as “an effective remineralizing ion” that restores the pH balance after we consume acidic foods and beverages so that our enamel doesn’t become demineralized, forming cavities. Even so, according to the ADA, more than 75% of people in the U.S. receive fluoride from their water, so you may already be ingesting it without realizing it. In this guide, we have also included toothpaste free of fluoride. Consult your dentist if you are unsure about fluoridated or non-fluoridated toothpaste.
Verify that the product has been approved by the ADA
It’s difficult to determine the safety of toothpaste labels since it’s not heavily regulated like other health products. Most people trust big brands since they emphasize safety. A few seals can give you more assurance – the FDA seal of approval and the American Dental Association seal, which proves that the tube meets the specifications set forth by the professional association. A dentist should also approve items that are trend-based, such as charcoal, that may damage your enamel and gums.
Frequently Asking Questions About Toothpaste
Which toothpaste is the best?
The top toothpaste brand in the U.S. in 2019 was Crest 3D White with 263.9 million dollars in sales. As the second-largest company that year, Sensodyne Pronamel had sales of approximately 196.7 million dollars.
Is there really a better toothpaste?
In short, there is no real difference between the different toothpaste brands supermarkets sell. Aside from a few minor ingredients, differences between the types of toothpaste available, there is not much difference between a brand that claims to be ‘for sensitive teeth and a brand that is just generic toothpaste.
Is Sensodyne better than Colgate?
Sensodyne Rapid Relief toothpaste and Crest Cavity Protection toothpaste were not as effective as Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief toothpaste at reducing mean tactile and air blast dentin hypersensitivity scores (p 0.05).
Which toothpaste is bad?
Bad-tasting toothpaste is not liked by anyone. It is for this reason why many traditional toothpaste companies use artificial sweeteners. Solvents such as sorbitol, saccharin, and xylitol may be among these. Humans can have xylitol (but pets cannot! ), but sorbitol and saccharin are problematic.
How do I choose a toothpaste?
“Find toothpaste with a fluoride content of at least a thousand parts per million and the stamp of approval of the American Dental Association for the best protection.” Other than that, personal preferences are all that matters,” said Dr. Levy. In fact, he says the best toothpaste is one that cleans your teeth well and leaves your mouth feeling fresh.
Based on customer feedback, a desire for good dental hygiene and a healthy smile, a cheaper price point, and ease of use, we at Polkadot Green highly recommend the Colgate Cavity Protection Toothpaste is the best toothpaste in our review. If you prefer something a little more sensitive or if the above toothpaste causes your teeth to be sensitive then we recommend Sensodyne Pronamel Gentle Whitening Toothpaste.