Toothbrushes are your primary tool in preventing tooth decay and gum disease. A good toothbrush helps reduce plaque build-up and avoid future problems like cavities and gum disease. While electric toothbrushes do have a slight edge when it comes to cleaning thoroughly, the best manual toothbrush has its own advantages:
They’re more convenient for travel, easier to find, and cheaper, says New York-based cosmetic dentist Lana Rozenberg, DDS. Plus, some people just don’t like the feel of electric toothbrushes.
Our 5 Favorite Toothbrush for Tartar Removal
Best Toothbrush for Tartar Removal Reviews
1. Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||5.2 x 0.9 x 9.5 inches|
Colgate Extra Clean Full Head Soft Toothbrush is designed with circular power bristles to help remove tooth stains. Its cleaning tip bristles effectively reach and clean back teeth and between teeth. This manual toothbrush also has an easy-to-grip handle to provide comfort and control while brushing. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3 months.
Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush
• Circular power bristles to help remove tooth stains.
• Easy-to-grip toothbrush handle provides comfort and control while brushing.
• Cleaning tip bristles effectively reach and clean back teeth.
• Helps to remove tooth surface stains to whiten teeth.
• Available in Soft, Medium, and Firm bristle firmness.
• Colors may vary.
- Soft toothbrush features circular power bristles to help effectively clean teeth
- Easy-to-grip handles to provide comfort and control while brushing.Fluoride free
- Cleaning tip bristles to effectively reach and clean back teeth and between teeth
- Helps remove tooth stains
2. Oral-B 3D White Action Power Toothbrush
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||2.17 x 1.34 x 9.45 inches|
|Item Weight||2.6 Ounces|
The Oral-B 3D White Battery Power Toothbrush features a brush head with Rubberized Bristles and an Action Cup that help whiten teeth by removing surface stains. Brush heads should be replaced every 3 months. Compatible with Oral-B Deep Clean, Pro-Health and 3D White replacement heads.
AA Battery included. Also try with these 3D White products: Crest 3D White Toothpaste, Crest 3D White Mouth Rinse, and Crest 3D White Whitestrips.
Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes
When you brush with an Oral-B, you’ll see and feel the difference. For individual tooth-by-tooth cleaning and a dentist-like clean feeling every day, make a power move to Oral-B.
- Oral-B 3D White AA Battery powered toothbrush with replaceable brush heads polishes stains away with 14,000 strokes per minute. (Battery Included)
- Rotating Action Cup brush head hugs each tooth and helps hold toothpaste for effective stain removal. Structured bristles are designed to break up plaque and reach between teeth
- Cleand and Whitens for naturally whiter teeth Whitens teeth by removing surface stains
- Brush heads should be replaced every 3 months, compatible with Oral-B Deep Clean, Anti-Microbial and 3D White Action replacement heads
- Oral-B is the #1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand worldwide
3. Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrushes
|Age Range (Description)||All ages|
Conventional toothbrushes are made from a variety of different hard plastics, high-density polyethylene, and nylon. It will take more than 500 years to fully break down according to U.S. National Environmental Organizations. While bamboo toothbrush handles made from natural bamboo, it will take only around six months to break down.
IS THIS YOURS
An estimated 1 billion plastic toothbrushes enter the landfill every year in the United States. These plastics not only going into our land but also our oceans. Great garbage islands about the size of Mexico have been found floating in the Pacific. It is now believed that there are 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris in the ocean with our marine life being directly afflicted. Every year, many marine life dies from plastic intake, and these are only discovered.
SOFT BPA FREE BRISTLES
The bristles are made from high-quality nylon which is soft, perfect for getting all the plaque off of your teeth.
EASY TO DISTINGUISH
It has black and white color bristles and labeled with A, B, C, D, or E, so that they are not mixed up.
Switching from a conventional plastic toothbrush to a bamboo toothbrush is one of the easiest things you can do to immediately reduce the plastic waste in your bathroom.
- This bamboo toothbrush made from natural sustainable Bamboo farms, our product is 100% Natural! They are of better quality than your ordinary toothbrushes, and they are biodegradable and very environmentally friendly.
- The bristles are made from high-quality nylon which is soft, perfect for getting all the plaque off of your teeth. The organic toothbrush is soft on your teeth and gums,to ensure safe, delicate dental hygiene. It is recommended to put the bamboo toothbrush in a ventilated and dry environment.
- A pack of ten and each one is individually packaged in cardboard. Each bamboo toothbrush is marked with different marks A, B, C, D, E for easy distinction. It is very suitable for family member or travel.
- The packaging of the natural toothbrushes are made in craft paper recyclable, no worry about it polluting the environment when you throw it away.
- For whatever reason, if you are not satisfied with our bamboo toothbrush, just contact us through Amazon or return the product directly to get a full refund. We promise to provide every buyer who has bought this toothbrush, provide 180-day free unconditional return and refund service.
4. Colgate 360° Advanced Optic White Toothbrush
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||2.05 x 0.91 x 8.72 inches|
The Colgate 360⁰ Advanced Optic White medium whitening manual toothbrush features an advanced multi-action bristle design (vs. an ordinary flat trim toothbrush) and an innovative cheek & tongue cleaner design to remove bacteria from teeth, tongue, cheeks, and gums. The toothbrush also features spiral polishing bristles that help to remove surface stains from teeth, for a naturally whiter smile.
It also features an ergonomic handle so that it fits comfortably in your hand. Flexible finger grips help the toothbrush to stay in place; reducing slippage and allowing for more precise maneuvering as you brush your teeth. Available in 3 eye-catching colors – Black, Red, and White Available in both soft and medium bristles.
360° Optic White Toothbrush
• Whitening toothbrush.
• Whitening cups hold toothpaste to help effectively remove surface stains.
• Polishing bristles help whiten teeth by polishing and cleaning hard-to-reach areas.
• Cheek and tongue cleaner cleans your whole mouth while you brush.
• Comfortable, ergonomic handle for precise maneuvering.
Polishing bristles for stain removal
Help whiten teeth by polishing away surface stains and clean hard to reach areas.
Cheek and tongue cleaner
Innovative cheek and tongue cleaner to remove more odor causing bacteria.
A comfortable, ergonomic handle and thumb grip for precise maneuvering, to help reach all areas of your mouth.
- Whitening toothbrush with spiral polishing bristles
- Advanced multi-action bristle design (vs. an ordinary flat trim toothbrush)
- Innovative cheek and tongue cleaner design
- Removes bacteria from teeth, tongue, cheeks, and gums
- Comfortable ergonomic handle for better maneuvering
5. Philips One by Sonicare Battery Toothbrush
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.2 x 4.3 x 9.6 inches|
|Item Weight||0.23 Pounds|
Philips One by Sonicare is an ultra-portable electric toothbrush that keeps your smile bright. Always be ready to touch up your smile, no matter where the day takes you.
- Designed with you in mind, Philips One is a big step up from manual brushing
- Micro vibrations and tapered bristles made of soft nylon gently polish teeth for a brighter smile
- Take your manual brushing experience to the next level by pairing regular brush motions with bristle micro-vibrations
- 2 Minute Timer with 30 second notifications; 3 month battery life
- Dentists recommend replacing brush heads every 3 months
- The One is made to travel so you can get that clean feeling any place. It’s sleek and lightweight and fits neatly into a compact travel case
- Brush heads match colorful handle for super sleek look. Handles are ONLY compatible with Philips One brush heads. Includes: One (1) Philips One by Sonicare Battery Toothbrush and matching brush head; 1 travel case; 1 AAA Battery
How I tested
Testing toothbrushes resulted in a seriously minty fresh mouth. These were the features I was looking for in a toothbrush based on our experts’ advice and after trying six toothbrushes.
Gentle on Teeth:
All our experts highlighted rough brushing as a concern for gum health down the road, which can cause issues like gum recession and tooth abrasion. Soft toothbrushes are ideal, especially if you also have sensitive teeth. I analyzed the feel of the bristles and how easy it was to mindlessly start brushing roughly. I found that some were more like a baby’s hairbrush and others were more like straw.
You don’t realize how much room a toothbrush’s handle takes up in your mouth until you use a poorly-designed option. The material and shape of the handle matters. I found some materials (wood, metal) that had a bothersome taste. Plastic seemed to be the most inoffensive handle material, with a bit of a curve near the brush itself to reach the back teeth more easily.
If you’re opting for a manual toothbrush over electric, you probably aren’t looking to spend too much money. And considering dentists recommend replacing your toothbrush head every 3 months, the costs are much lower for a manual.
Some manual toothbrushes came with storage systems, replaceable heads, and tongue-cleaning features. I considered how these might help the cleaning and storage process for manual toothbrushes — or whether they were just a little overboard.
What to Look for in a manual Toothbrush
It can be eye-opening to realize how many features a simple manual toothbrush really has. You can always ask your personal dentist which type is best for your specific mouth, but in general, our experts say the most important features are:
- Varying heights on the bristles, which helps to sweep under the gumline.
- A comfortable grip, since this helps you leverage into the back corners of your mouth.
- A sleek handle design that won’t feel bulky in your mouth, for comfort.
- A curved handle, between where your hand goes and the head of the toothbrush, which is better angled to reach the back teeth.
- Gentle and soft bristles, which all our experts recommend as they’re gentler on your gum line. This prevents you from damaging your gums or causing a recession through brushing too aggressively.
What are the benefits of a manual toothbrush?
A manual toothbrush helps reduce plaque build-up and minimize the changes of future problems like cavities and gum disease. That’s because the bristles are often long or of varying length so they can clean below your gum line, and the bristles are ideally soft enough to not cause gum recession.
Manual toothbrushes also have the added benefit of being very lightweight and no-fuss, which is great if you travel a lot. And they’re a lot cheaper than an electric option.
How often should you replace a manual toothbrush?
You should replace your toothbrush every three to four months, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This helps keep the brush bristles stiff and working to remove plaque effectively, and to prevent bacteria from growing on the brush. However, if the bristles are ultra soft like the Nimbus Regular Microfine Xtra Soft, they lose their structural integrity faster and need to be replaced every two months, Dr. Ritter told us during medical review.
In an effort for sustainability, we highly recommend saving old toothbrushes to use to clean small stains or muddy shoes.
Manual vs electric toothbrush: Which is better?
While there is some research that says electric toothbrushes are more effective at removing plaque from your back teeth, all the dentists we interviewed for this piece, as well as those we interviewed for our electric toothbrush guide, say manual toothbrushes are just as good at cleaning your teeth and preventing gum disease as electric.
Taking good care of your teeth will keep you healthy in long run. If you think you may have a dental issue related to plaque or tartar buildup, schedule an appointment with your dentist right away. The sooner you get the dental issue addressed, the less damage it’s likely to cause and the easier (and less expensive) it will be to treat.