As a fan of cooking, you realize that spices are the soul of most dishes. A touch of cinnamon or nutmeg can turn something normally bland into a masterpiece. And while some spices are plentiful in the market, it is saffron that has always been hard to come by. It is also one of the most expensive spices in the world. That is probably why you are looking for the best saffron supplement available right now.
What is saffron?
Saffron is a widely used spice in Mediterranean and North African cuisine. It’s noted for its rich flavor, which is nutty, flowery, and sweet at the same time, as well as the brilliant reddish-yellow hue it imparts to the recipes it’s used in. Saffron derives from the stigma of the Crocus sativus flower, unlike many other spices that come from the roots or leaves of plants.
Saffron has been grown for thousands of years, with the earliest evidence reaching back to the seventh century. It is primarily grown in the Middle East, South Asia, and the Mediterranean. However, it is now being grown in a growing number of countries around the world, including New Zealand and Germany.
Best Saffron Supplement Reviews
1. Life Extension MacuGuard Ocular Support with Saffron
- COMPREHENSIVE NUTRITION FOR YOUR EYES - Delivers comprehensive nutritional support for your eyes, all in a single softgel. We're talking about the hard-to-get nutrients like lutein, meso-zeaxanthin, zeaxanthin, phospholipids, C3G and saffron–all of which help support the eye's delicate photoreceptor cells, the macula and the retina. Our formula also encourages healthy night vision.
- MAINTAINING YOUR VISION’S VITALITY - Studies on supplementing with saffron show this yellow spice helps promote visual acuity and eye health. Lutein and zeaxanthin are carotenoids that make up the macular pigment in your retina and are essential for normal vision. But these levels gradually decline over time. The combination of the nutrients lutein, two forms of zeaxanthin, and alpha-carotene, another vision-promoting carotenoid help keep eyes functioning well, even over time.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY NIGHT VISION - We added C3G berry flavonoids to encourage the regeneration of rhodopsin, a retinal compound that converts visible light to the electrical signals that reach the visual centers of the brain, especially in low-light conditions.
- INGREDIENTS MATTER - Sourced using only the finest raw ingredients with the purity and potency your body deserves. The majority of our products are non-GMO, gluten-free, and manufactured in the USA—and a Certificate of Analysis is available for every product we produce.
- LIVE YOUR HEALTHIEST LIFE - For over 40 years, we’ve been developing advanced, effective formulas made with the highest standards and based on the latest scientific findings. We believe the answers to a healthier, richer life are within reach, and that rigorous scientific research is the path to get us there. Our formulations are created using the ingredients and dosages used in the studies that inspired them, ensuring that maximum bio availability and efficacy is achieved.
|Special Ingredients||C3G (cyanidin-3-glucoside), MacuGuard® proprietary blend, Saffron extract|
|Specific Uses For Product||Eye Health|
|Product Benefits||Eye Health Support|
|Diet Type||Gluten Free|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
Life Extension Macuguard Ocular Support 60 Soft gels provides lutein, trans-zeaxanthin, and meso-zeaxanthin, three important nutrients that protect the delicate photoreceptor cells in the retina’s macula from light damage.
Life Extension MacuGuard Ocular Support with Saffron
Nutrients like lutein and astaxanthin benefit eye health. Our MacuGuard formula delivers these nutrients, plus zeaxanthin, meso-zeaxanthin, saffron and more for comprehensive eye health support.
- Contains lutein, meso-zeaxanthin & zeaxanthin for eye health support
- Provides comprehensive ocular nutrition in a single softgel
- Helps fight eye fatigue with astaxanthin
- Includes berry flavonoids to support night vision
- Provides an optimal dose of saffron to support vision
Carotenoids: Eye-friendly Nutrients
Carotenoids are a class of phytonutrients (plant chemicals) that are obtained from diet or supplements. Eating foods or taking supplements that contain carotenoids can offer a wide range of health benefits. For instance: the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are the main pigments in the macular portion of the eye’s retina. Lutein and zeaxanthin protect your eye against light and free radical-induced damage.
2. Gaia Herbs, Nootropic Focus, Brain & Cognitive Support, Saffron, Vegan Liquid Capsules
- Plant BASED nootropics: an herbal supplement designed for brain and cognitive support. Nootropic focus is perfect for anyone trying to keep up with a fast-paced life!
- Sharpen concentration & Boost memory: Gingko Biloba extract and spearmint are associated with increased focus, mental alertness, and clarity.
- Soothing herbal blend: saffron and lemon Balm help calm you down, support nervous system function, and improve your mood.
- Made at the Gaia Certified organic farm: we are committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Our products are purity tested and do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast or eggs.
- 10-20 day Supply: includes 1 (40 count) Gaia Herbs nootropic focus herbal supplement. We suggest taking 2 capsules 1-2 times daily with meals.
|Recommended Uses For Product||Brain Health|
|Unit Count||40 Count|
|Item Weight||0.35 Pounds|
A targeted formula for healthy concentration, Gaia Herbs nootropic focus helps you keep up with the competing demands of a fast-paced life. For the do-it-all parent balancing work and home duties, or the active professional looking for support for the next big idea, nootropic focus helps maintain overall cognitive health so you can thrive in your busy life. Made with a revitalizing blend of saffron, lemon Balm, and Spearmint. Saffron is traditionally used to support overall brain health, promoting attention and reflection. Lemon Balm supports mental alertness and focus, and Spearmint is invigorating and uplifting for the mind and body and helps maintain mental performance.
Brain & Cognitive Support
Our cognitive line was created using plant-based nootropics to give your brain the boost it needs! Choose between Bacopa, Nootropic Focus, or Agile Mind for an herbal supplement that meets your individual needs—whether you’re looking for increased focus, better recall, or brain health through the lifespan.
For Healthy Brain Function & Recall
Agile Mind provides adaptogenic support to help your mind stay sharp. For busy working professionals or chronic multi-taskers, Agile Mind addresses a broad range of factors that influence cognitive health. Formulated with Turmeric, which helps reduce occasional inflammation, Bacopa, an Ayurvedic herb that helps maintain a healthy mind, and Ginkgo biloba to support brain function and healthy recall.
For Maintaining Brain Health
Bacopa is a single-herb plant extract made with Gaia-grown Bacopa and designed to support brain health during all stages of life. Bacopa has gained increasing popularity as an herb for those trying to maintain brain fitness long-term. From college students to retired professionals, Bacopa is perfect for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy, thriving mind.
Supports Healthy Concentration
A targeted formula for healthy concentration, Gaia Herbs Nootropic Focus helps you keep up with the demands of a fast-paced life. For the do-it-all parent or the active professional, Nootropic Focus helps maintain overall cognitive health so you can thrive in your busy life. Made with a revitalizing blend of Saffron, Lemon Balm, and Spearmint to promote mental alertness, focus, and performance.
The Power of Transparency
You can always trust that what you read on a Gaia Herbs label is what you will find in the bottle. At our meetyourherbs site** you can discover the origin of your herbs, how they were grown, and see validation of your product’s level of purity and potency. We verify at every stage of the Gaia Herbs seed-to-shelf journey — because you deserve to know exactly what’s in your herbal supplement.
3. Life Extension Macuguard Ocular Support with Saffron
- COMPREHENSIVE NUTRITION FOR YOUR EYES - MacuGuard Ocular Support with Saffron & Astaxanthin delivers comprehensive nutritional support for your eyes, all in a single softgel. We're talking about the hard to get nutrients like lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin A, C3G and saffron—all of which help support the eye's delicate photoreceptor cells, the macula, the retina and night vision
- MAINTAINING VISION VITALITY - Carotenoids, like lutein and zeaxanthin, which make up the macular pigment in your retina, are essential for your eyes. But these levels gradually decline over time. That's why Macuguard contains lutein and two forms of zeaxanthin, as well as alpha-carotene, another vision-promoting carotenoid. Together, they help keep eyes functioning well, even over time
- THE IMPORTANCE OF ASTAXANTHIN AND SAFFRON - Japanese scientists have clinically studied the powerful antioxidant astaxanthin to see the part it plays in our eye health. And what they found was pretty impressive. Daily supplementation with this antioxidant helped promote visual sharpness and eye health. On the other hand, studies on supplementing with saffron extracts show this yellow spice helps promote visual acuity and eye health
- INGREDIENTS MATTER - Sourced using only the finest raw ingredients with the purity and potency your body deserves. The majority of our products are non-GMO, gluten-free, and manufactured in the USA—and a Certificate of Analysis is available for every product we produce
- LIVE YOUR HEALTHIEST LIFE - For over 40 years, we’ve been developing advanced, effective formulas made with the highest standards and based on the latest scientific findings. We believe the answers to a healthier, richer life are within reach, and that rigorous scientific research is the path to get us there. Our formulations are created using the ingredients and dosages used in the studies that inspired them, ensuring that maximum bioavailability and efficacy is achieved
|Special Ingredients||MacuGuard® proprietary blend, Natural astaxanthin, C3G, Saffron extract|
|Specific Uses For Product||Eye Health|
|Product Benefits||Provides an optimal dose of saffron to support healthy vision, Contains lutein, meso-zeaxanthin & zeaxanthin for eye health support, Helps fight eye fatigue with astaxanthin, Includes berry flavonoids to support night visionProvides an optimal dose of saffron to support healthy vision, Contains lutein, meso-zeaxanthin & zeaxanthin for eye health support, Helps fight eye.|
|Diet Type||Gluten Free|
|Color||Red to Brown|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
The nutrients our eyes need are often hard to come by, but it’s worth making sure we get enough of them to keep our eyes healthy over time. For instance: the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are the main components of your macular pigment, and help protect the eyes from the effects of excess blue and ultraviolet light.
Lutein & Zeaxanthin: vital for healthy vision : That’s why this formula contains lutein and trans-zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin, as well as alpha-carotene, another eye health carotenoid that has been associated with protection of the macula and retina. Lutein and the two types of zeaxanthin are very well-known to help preserve the health of the macula and act as defenders against excessive oxidative stress. They help keep eyes functioning well, even over time.3 Astaxanthin: fight eye fatigue : Japanese scientists have clinically studied astaxanthin.
They’ve demonstrated that 6 mg of astaxanthin supplementation daily helped promote visual sharpness and eye health. Phospholipids for carotenoids: optimal absorption : Getting these eye-healthy nutrients where you need them most is a huge part of supporting your vision health. This formula contains phospholipids, which are an integral part of every cell membrane in the body.
This helps promote absorption of lutein and zeaxanthin. Good absorption is crucial for these nutrients to make it into the retina of the eye. Nutrition for night vision: C3G berry flavonoids : MacuGuard® Ocular Support with Saffron & Astaxanthin also contains an anthocyanin flavonoid extracted from European black currant berry. Cyanidin-3-glucoside encourages the regeneration of rhodopsin, a retinal compound that converts visible light to the electrical signals that reach the visual centers of the brain, especially in low-light conditions. Rhodopsin needs to be continually regenerated, but science believes that as we age this happens less and less.
10 Cyanidin-3-glucoside may help older eyes see better at night. Vision-enhancing benefits of saffron : This formula also includes saffron extract. Multiple clinical studies have shown that supplementation with 20 mg of saffron helps support vision and retinal function, as measured both by advanced technical testing and on the Snellen eye chart that is commonly used by doctors to test vision.
Lutein and zeaxanthin make up the macular pigment in your retina, which is essential for your eyes.
Macular pigment helps filter certain types of light before it can reach the delicate photoreceptors of your retina, located at the back of your eye.
They also defend against oxidative stress and generally help keep eyes functioning over time.
Inhibiting General Eye Fatigue
Speaking of antioxidants, this formula also includes a powerful one: astaxanthin.
In addition to fending off free radicals, getting a daily dose of astaxanthin can help inhibit general eye fatigue to help keep your eyes comfortable.
And while astaxanthin is often derived from krill, this astaxanthin comes from a kind of sea algae.
One of the often-overlooked parts of your vision is how well you see at night or in the dark.
For that, you need rhodopsin, which converts light to electrical signals that reach the visual centers of the brain—especially in low-light conditions.
CG3 from black currant (a kind of berry) has been shown to encourage rhodopsin generation.
Optimal Nutrient Absorption for Supporting Vision
Getting the right nutrients where you need them most is a huge part of supporting your vision. This formula contains phospholipids, which are an integral part of every cell membrane in the body.
Phospholipids also help promote absorption of lutein and zeaxanthin. Good absorption is crucial for these nutrients to make it into the retina of the eye.
MacuGuard also includes saffron, shown to support vision and retinal function as measured both by advanced technical testing and on the Snellen eye chart—the one that is commonly used by doctors to test vision.
4. OLLY Goodbye Stress Gummy
- OLLY GOODBYE STRESS GUMMY: Calm your mind and counter bad vibes with the help of our strawberry and lemon verbena flavored gummy supplements. This stress support zen blend uses GABA and L-Theanine to help you stay calm, cool, and collected.*
- THE GOODS INSIDE: B12 is essential for the production of cellular energy. CoQ10 helps support your mitochondria, the energy producing structures that keep your cells powered up and Goji Berry is a super food to help maintain a steady flow of energy*
- HOW TO TAKE: Chew two gummies, no food or water needed
- NATURALLY DELICIOUS: These chewable vitamins come in naturally flavored Berry Verbena made with no artificial colors or flavors and are gluten free. 42 gummies per bottle (21 day supply)
- MIX AND MATCH: Delightful and delicious OLLY products can be taken together—mix and match as you please.
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Diet Type||Gluten Free|
OLLY Goodbye Stress gummies work fast to help counter the bad vibes—the stress relief gummies have a boost of just what your body needs to help you stay calm, cool and collected.
OLLY anti stress gummies are expertly blended with GABA, a fast working (within 30-60 minutes) active that supports a relaxed state of mind. L-Theanine is GABA’s partner in sublime—it goes right to work in your brain to help you keep your cool, and Lemon Balm is a soothing botanical that has been used for centuries to help quiet the mind.* Good health is at the center of everything we do.
That’s why we’ve made it our mission to make nutrition easy to understand. We do it by crafting products that are as effective as they are delicious—because we know when something feels good, you’re more likely to do it. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
BRING ON THE BENEFITS
OLLY Goodbye Stress gummies is expertly blended with key actives that help counter the acute effects of stress and mental tension. These gummies work fast to help counter the bad vibes, with a boost of just what your body needs to help you stay calm, cool and collected.
THE GOODS INSIDE
GABA: This fast working (within 30-60 minutes) active supports a relaxed state of mind to help combat the acute effects of stress.* L-THEANINE: Gaba’s partner in sublime – this amino acid goes right to work in your brain to help you keep your cool.* LEMON BALM: A soothing botanical that has been used for centuries to help quiet the mind.
A zen blend of strawberry and lemon verbena. OLLY gummy vitamins are naturally delicious, scientifically formulated, contain zero synthetic colors or flavors and gluten-free.
5. Bio Nutrition Extract Saffron
|Recommended Uses For Product||Neurological,Dietary Supplement,Boost Energy|
|Unit Count||1.00 Count|
|Item Weight||6.92 Pounds|
Bio Nutrition Extract of Saffron is a 100% natural nutrient that naturally promotes energy and mental alertness, supports vision, reduces stress and anxiety, boosts mood, and prevents brain fog.
Saffron has several common names such as saffron, bastet’s yellow rain, zanshin powder and orange flower powder. Natural saffron (Crocus sativus) is a perennial plant originally native to the Piedmont regions in the South of France.
The plant was cultivated for coloring in ancient Persian royal robes. The spice has been used for centuries by people throughout Europe as an anti-inflammatory, digestive aid and appetite stimulant. The health benefits of Zafferol include stimulating the body’s own natural defenses against free radical damage, resulting in rejuvenation of mind and body.
6. SmartyPants Kids Sleep Gummies
- Great-tasting kids gummies are formulated to help support relaxation, calmness and sleep support during your child’s bedtime routine.* Melatonin free, with saffron, L-Theanine and magnesium
- Does not contain melatonin. Made with L-Theanine, clinically tested to support relaxation, and saffron, clinically tested to support calm, mood and sleep when it’s time for lights out
- Formulated with magnesium which aids your child’s nervous system while they rest.* Includes an herbal blend of chamomile and lemon balm
- Non-GMO. Gelatin-Free. Vegetarian. Gluten-free. Free of milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat, peanuts & tree nuts. No synthetic colors, artificial flavors, or artificial sweeteners. 3RD PARTY LAB TESTED
- Directions: For children 4-9 years of age, take one (1) gummy before bedtime. For children 10 years of age and older, take two (2) gummies before bedtime. May be taken with or without food. Chew each gummy thoroughly
SmartyPants Healthy Kids Sleep features an herbal and nutrient blend including magnesium citrate to support bone health, clinically tested L-Theanine and saffron extract to support relaxation and calm, and to support sleep before bedtime.We also include an herbal blend of chamomile flower and lemon balm extract. Non-GMO, gluten-free and gelatin-free. Plus, no synthetic colors, no artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners.
SmartyPants for Healthy‡ Kids Sleep* is safely formulated with a nutrient blend including clinically tested ingredients to support calmness, relaxation, mood, sleep and their nervous system.* This formula is melatonin-free, made with L-Theanine, saffron and magnesium.
We always strive for the best. That means delivering the highest-quality ingredients available and using nutrient forms that your body prefers and can easily use. Every finished batch is third-party lab-tested, so you can always trust that what’s on the label is what’s in the bottle.
NO JUNK IN THESE
SmartyPants for Healthy‡ Kids Sleep* uses only exceptional ingredients without any synthetic colors, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners. Plus, they’re gluten-free, gelatin-free, and free of the eight most common allergens including milk, eggs, shellfish, soy, peanuts, wheat, fish and tree nuts.
Your kiddo’s nervous system spends the day intaking, processing and reacting to the information around them. Our formula is made with magnesium to help support their nervous system even as they snooze.*
CALM & MOOD
Even when your kid is tuckered out, their mood may not be. Healthy‡ Kids Sleep* is made with saffron, clinically tested to help support sleep, as well as calm and mood before bedtime.*
This melatonin-free formula is made with L-Theanine, clinically tested to support relaxation when it’s time for lights out.* Supporting a more relaxed kid for a more relaxed you.
7. American Saffron and Slippery Elm Bark Combination
|Item Weight||0.08 Kilograms|
Take 1 capsule, 3 times daily, with meals. – TerraVita is an exclusive line of premium-quality, natural source products that use only the finest, purest, and most potent ingredients found around the world. TerraVita is hallmarked by the highest possible standards of purity, potency, stability, and freshness.
All of our products are prepared with the highest elements of quality control, from raw materials through the entire manufacturing process, up to and including the moment that the bottles or bags are sealed for freshness and shipped out to you. Our highest possible standards are certified by independent laboratories and backed by our personal guarantee.
TerraVita exists to meet and ensure your family’s health and wellness without the harmful effects of chemicals and prescription health products. We strive to make all of our products affordable and reliable and are constantly searching the market to maintain our affordability and look for new ways to serve you and the ones you love.
TerraVita has become a trusted household name for many families and can bring you and yours the very best herbal supplements, blends, teas, and spices that are on the market today. – TerraVita is packed in tamper-proof, food-grade, recyclable containers.
ZooScape is proud to be the exclusive distributor of TerraVita teas, herbs, and supplements in the United States, Canada, and around the world.
Buying Guide For Best Saffron Supplement For Depression
Saffron’s health benefits
Saffron, like many other brightly colored foods and spices, appears to have a multitude of health benefits when consumed on a regular basis. Saffron is high in antioxidants, which are thought to be important in decreasing inflammation and protecting cells from free radical damage. Saffron may also aid to alleviate anxiety and depression, as well as improve brain and eye health by boosting cognitive performance and combating age-related macular degeneration, according to some studies.
The advantages listed above may only be the tip of the iceberg. According to some research, saffron can help restrict hunger and facilitate weight loss, as well as lower PMS symptoms and boost libido.
Saffron supplements come in a variety of forms.
The majority of saffron supplements are available in capsule form, which many people may prefer because they are easy to transport and keep. If you don’t enjoy swallowing pills, they’re also available in gummy and tincture forms.
Characteristics to look for in a good saffron supplement For Depression
Saffron is currently grown in a number of nations around the world, as previously mentioned. Many people, however, consider saffron from Iran, India’s Kashmir area, Spain, and Greece to be of the highest quality.
Most saffron supplements also include additional substances for various purposes, so examine the label to be sure it doesn’t include anything you don’t want or are allergic to. Rice flour, silica, stearic acid, and acacia gum are common additions and fillers in saffron capsule supplements. Natural and artificial flavors and sweeteners are frequently used in gummies. Additional supplements or vitamins may be used in both for further health advantages.
Quantity per serving
Saffron supplements do not all have the same amount of saffron in each serving. The highest-quality supplements may include up to 88.5 milligrams per serving, while lower-quality supplements and those containing multiple herbal or vitamin supplements may contain as little as 25 milligrams.
Saffron supplements, like most other supplements, can get a number of certifications to prove their quality or purity. Gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, good manufacturing practices and third-party tested are the most prevalent certifications.
Saffron supplement FAQ
Is saffron effective for depression?
The saffron extract appears to improve subclinical depressive symptoms in healthy individuals and may contribute to increased resilience against the development of stress-related psychiatric disorders.
Are saffron supplements effective?
In a review of five studies, saffron supplements were significantly more effective than placebos at treating symptoms of mild-to-moderate depression. Other studies found that taking 30 mg of saffron daily was just as effective as Fluoxetine, Imipramine, and Citalopram — conventional treatments for depression.
How do you take saffron for depression?
As a medicine, the saffron extract has most often been used by adults in doses of 20-100 mg by mouth daily for up to 3 months. Speak with a healthcare provider to find out what dose might be best for a specific condition.
the saffron extract consists of numerous active substances – the constituents that are helpful for red blood cells and sperm. These substances protect against radical-mediated damage as well as oxidative stress. They also help to maintain blood circulation. saffron is used in traditional medicine to cure functional disorders such as impotency, frigidity, lumbago, and hypertension. each capsule from our product contains a high amount of this extract – 50 mg that guarantees a good effect for its daily use.