What is the best paternity test for you? There are many factors to consider when deciding which paternity test is best. You will have to decide exactly what type of test you need if the results need to be court-admissible and what you are willing to spend, among other factors. To help you decide which brand of a paternity test is right for you, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 most popular brands on the market today.
Our Editor’s Choice
Best Paternity Test Reviews:
1. My Forever DNA – Paternity DNA Test Kit
My Forever DNA performs lab quality tests in the comfort of your own home and ships it back to our lab FREE of charge. We have developed a world-class, sophisticated DNA testing technology called Orchid Cellmark using the latest advancements in polymerase chain reaction (PCR) research. It’s leadership in DNA research enables My Forever DNA to offer unsurpassed accuracy, reliability and customer support. Start the paternity test process and secure your family’s future today!
Step 1: Choose the Kit That’s Best for You
We offer a variety of DNA test kits including Paternity, Grandparent, Aunt/Uncle, and Sibling. Unsure which test you need? Our DNA Specialists are happy to help determine the best test kit for your situation.
Step 2: Collect DNA Samples
Each kit comes with simple instructions for sample collection. Complete your pain-free DNA cheek swab in the privacy of your home using the materials and step-by-step instructions provided.
Step 3: Mail In Samples
A prepaid envelope to return samples to our lab will be included. We will also email you a tracking number, giving you the ability to know when samples are received in our lab.
Step 4: Get Results Fast
Confidential results will be emailed 1-3 business days after samples arrive at our lab. Each customer is assigned a Customer Care Specialist to answer questions regarding results. When you contact My Forever DNA, you’ll always get an experienced DNA specialist rather than a call center.
- NO HIDDEN FEES – All lab and shipping fees to test 1 alleged father and 1 child are included in your DNA test kit purchase. Each kit includes Step-by-Step Instructions and all materials needed to perform your at-home paternity test, along with FREE sample shipping back to the lab. Kit Includes: Instructions, Result Notification Form, 6 sterile cheek swabs (2 swabs per packet), 3 DNA sample envelopes, FREE shipping back to lab
- ACCURACY GUARANTEED – Tests are performed in our state-of-the-art lab. By testing the most DNA markers industry-wide – 24 DNA (Genetic) Markers + Gender Identification Marker Amelogenin – We test more DNA markers than anyone else! You can be confident in the results. To further ensure accuracy, we run every test twice
- ACCREDITED US LAB – Our US-based contracted lab is AABB Accredited, the gold standard in accreditations, and participates annually in College of American Pathologists (CAP) proficiency testing. Every DNA test is verified and signed off on by our Chief Scientific Officer who has 20 years of experience
- FAST & CONFIDENTIAL RESULTS – We will notify you when samples arrive at our lab, and you can expect results within 1-3 business days after we have received all samples. There is no online portal to register for. Instead, you’ll get the confidential results in the way you choose: by email, phone, or mail. We have many safety measures in place to ensure your data and information are always kept private and confidential
- PERSONALIZED CUSTOMER CARE – Get One-On-One Customer Service! Once samples arrive at our lab, you will be assigned a Customer Care Specialist who will email you when samples arrive and keep you up-to-date every step of the way. Your knowledgeable Customer Care Specialist will also be available by phone or email to answer any questions you have. Questions are Welcome!
2. DNA Direct Paternity Test Kit
The DNA Direct Home Paternity Test INCLUDES ALL LAB FEES for testing an alleged father and child. The DNA Direct Home Paternity kit is delivered to your door and includes cheek swabs, instructions, and a Free Return Mailer to the laboratory. Testing is 100% accurate. Discounts available if additional legally binding paternity testing is required. The accredited DNA testing laboratory is based in the USA. Paternity testing takes as little as 2 business days. Register online to receive your results. If you have questions about your paternity test results, a phone number and email are included in your kit. You will be able to print a copy of the paternity test results as soon as they are emailed to you. Due to New York State Law, this at-home DNA collection kit cannot be mailed to New York addresses.
- All Lab Fees Included for 1 Father and 1 Child. Testing Performed by an AABB & ISO 17025 Accredited Laboratory.
- The DNA Direct Home Paternity Test INCLUDES 22 GENETIC MARKERS FOR 100% ACCURACY. Results completed in as little as 2 business days.
- Kit includes FREE Return Shipping back to the Laboratory. Register your kit online to receive your results.
- Professional and Confidential. Ships in discreet packaging for privacy. Phone Number Available for Questions.
- Kit includes PAIN-FREE cheek swabs for sample collection in the comfort and privacy of your home. DNA Direct cannot send at-home collection kits to New York addresses. New York State Law requires that residents either obtain a court order or include a physician to complete the testing process.
3. STK Paternity Test for Child and Father DNA Kit at Home
STK Home Paternity Test INCLUDES ALL LAB FEES for testing a suspected father and child. The kit includes a Free Return Mailer. The test is up to 99.999% accurate and if additional legally binding paternity testing is required discounts are available. The STK Home Paternity Test is delivered to your door and includes swabs for gathering samples and a mailer for sending the genetic material back to the lab. The DNA testing lab is based in the USA and the paternity test samples are tested within hours of when they arrive by mail. Paternity testing takes 3-5 business days and status reports and results are available online. If you have questions about the paternity test result a 1-800 number is available. You will be able to print a copy of the paternity test results as soon as they are available online. A full color copy of the paternity test results is available to you by mail. The STK/SterlingTek name images and contents of this STK listing are protected by trademarks and copyrights.
- All Lab Costs are Included for 1 suspected father and 1 child, all DNA at home tests are ISO 17025 compliant
- Paternity tests verify 16 DNA loci 3 more than the FBI for DNA Fingerprints
- Online status and results are available and a hard copy is available for an additional fee
- Professional and Confidential and a 1-800 number is available for questions
- STK Paternity Tests are up to 99.999% accurate.
4. SneakPeek® DNA Test Gender Prediction
SneakPeek is the most accurate early gender DNA test on the market. With clinically proven 99.9% accuracy at 6 weeks into pregnancy, you can know your baby’s gender in 5-7 days after placing your order. SneakPeek is the leading provider of early gender DNA tests, trusted by over 500,000 moms and obstetricians. Be sure to check out our new SneakPeek Snap below, a breakthrough painless way to collect your DNA sample!
In our most recent large-scale study, SneakPeek accurately determined fetal sex in 99.9% of 1,029 pregnant women between 6-and 37 weeks of gestational age. In a separate laboratory study run in 2019, SneakPeek accurately determined fetal sex in 99.1% of 108 pregnant women at 8 weeks gestational age. See the peer-reviewed study in the International Journal of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Int J Pregn & Chi Birth. 2019; 5(4):135-137). In a separate laboratory test from 2017, fetal sex was accurately determined in 99.6% of 241 pregnant women at 9 weeks gestational age and later into pregnancy. See the peer-reviewed study in the Journal of Pregnancy and Child Health. (J Preg Child Health. 2017; 4:358).
Is this test safe?
SneakPeek Clinical is a non-invasive prenatal test (NIPT), and it’s safe for both mom and baby! SneakPeek looks for male DNA in the fetal DNA found in the mom’s circulation. To avoid inaccurate test results, be sure to take the test only when you’re 6 weeks pregnant to ensure the level of male chromosomes is high enough to read. Want to order the test in advance for 6 weeks? Sure, you can do that! The test kit is good for a year.
How is the DNA sample taken?
You will receive a test kit that provides everything you need to take the test, from the comfort of your home. Three lancets are included that you use to prick your finger to collect 7-10 drops in a small test tube. The sample is then mailed back to SneakPeek Labs for analysis.
How accurate is the SneakPeekTest?
In landmark research involving over 1,000 pregnant women, and our largest clinical study to date, SneakPeek Early Gender DNA Test was found to be 99.9% accurate when determining fetal sex, as confirmed at time of birth!
How is my privacy protected?
We know information surrounding your DNA is sensitive. To protect your privacy, we only test for baby’s gender. After the test is run, your DNA sample is immediately disposed in compliance with federal regulations. SneakPeek never shares your results with anyone other than the email address you provide.
- RESULTS IN 5-7 DAYS: With the SneakPeek Lancet option, your test kit is sent to you via Amazon Prime shipping, with prepaid USPS Priority Mail postage (2-3 business days) to send your sample back to SneakPeek Labs. Your results will be emailed the following day after your sample arrives at our labs. With SneakPeek Snap FastTrack*, you can learn gender results the SAME DAY as your sample arrival!
- DNA-BASED TESTING that’s 99.9% ACCURATE¹: SneakPeek uses fetal DNA found in mom’s circulation and tests it for male chromosomes. If male chromosomes are found, baby is a boy. If not, baby is girl. All lab fees are included.
- AS EARLY AS 6 WEEKS INTO GESTATION: SneakPeek is 99.9% accurate at 6 weeks into gestation. Not at 6 weeks yet? Don’t worry, just keep the test kit unopened, and it can be used for up to a year after purchase.
- EASY AT-HOME TEST: SneakPeek Early Gender DNA Test is easy to use and can be taken in the comfort of your own home without the need for a doctor’s visit. Inside your SneakPeek test kit, you will find everything you need to collect your DNA sample, which takes just 2-5 minutes.
- RESULTS GUARANTEED: We issue a full refund if your test result does not match the gender of your newborn baby.
5. AncestryDNA: Genetic Ethnicity Test
You can see more specific breakdowns of places in your DNA, helping to pinpoint where your ancestors might have lived. Depending on your regions, you could also get a timeline of historical changes with expert-curated content, giving you context about the events that shaped the lives of your ancestors over time.
AncestryDNA highly discourages the purchase of our DNA kit from unauthorized resellers. To ensure the best experience and service, please purchase directly from AncestryDNA Official. DNA kits that are fraudulently purchased and then resold through Amazon may be deactivated by AncestryDNA, and may not be eligible for a refund. Before you can use AncestryDNA and see your results, you must create an Ancestry account and agree to Ancestry’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement.
- A FEW SIMPLE STEPS: Discover your DNA story with our easy-to-follow instructions. Simply activate your DNA kit online and return your saliva sample in the prepaid package to our state-of-the-art lab. In roughly six to eight weeks, your results will be ready online.
- TOP-SELLING CONSUMER DNA TEST: From your origins in over 1,500 regions to the most connections to living relatives, no other DNA test kit delivers an experience as unique and interactive as an AncestryDNA kit.
- PRECISE ETHNICITY AND LIVING RELATIVES: A more precise ethnicity estimate with greater geographic detail and in-depth historical insights connects you to the places in the world where your story started—from unique regions to living relatives.
- BUILD A FAMILY TREE: Combine what you learn from your DNA with an Ancestry subscription for access to millions of family trees and billions of records—for even more insight into your genealogy and origins.
- PROTECTING PRIVACY: When you send your DNA kit to us, we employ industry-standard security measures in every stage of our process, work to protect your data, and give you control over it—with data encryption, secure databases, and easy-to-use controls.
What to know before you buy a paternity test
A paternity test looks at markers to determine how similar the potential father and child’s DNA are to each other. The more markers they examine, the higher the accuracy of the test. For the best accuracy, be sure to use a paternity test with at least 20 markers.
Unfortunately, paternity tests don’t give at-home results like pregnancy tests do as they are more complex, so you’ll have to ship out your samples to a lab for results. This can take anywhere from two to five business days once the lab receives the samples to process. If time is critical, you can find tests that guarantee results in as soon as two days.
What to look for in a quality paternity test
Most paternity tests use cheek swabs to collect DNA samples since they’re fast, easy and non-invasive, which is essential for collecting a young child’s sample that may struggle to hold still. Each test kit will say what sample it requires.
Multiple adult samples
Typically, a paternity test will only include a cheek swab for the alleged father and the child. Should you wish to test multiple men’s DNA against the child’s, you have a few options. Some tests offer the option to add additional swabs for processing for an additional cost, while others require purchasing an entirely new test kit. Others also allow you to include the mother’s DNA to aid in achieving accurate results.
Delivery of results
Paternity test results usually arrive either physically mailed or in digital forms, which you can determine before purchasing the paternity test. If you need results fast, try and find an option with online results. They are also frequently bundled with status updates of your processing that you can locate by logging into the test kit manufacturer’s website using in-box instructions.
Most paternity tests are not admissible in court, meaning the courts won’t recognize them as proof or disproof of paternity at a legally binding level. For your paternity test to be considered admissible or factually relevant, you’ll need to take a specific version of the test in the lab directly or in front of an unbiased third party. For more information on legality, visit the paternity test buying guide from BestReviews.
How much you can expect to spend on a paternity test
Paternity tests aren’t just one expense, but three different possible rounds of cost to you. The test kit itself can cost anywhere $15-$150, followed by the lab fees, which can either be included with the test kit or can cost an additional fee that’s often $100 or more. Finally, the shipping and handling can also be included or an additional cost.
Paternity test FAQ
Is the DNA of the mother required for paternity testing?
A.No, a sample of the mother’s DNA is not required though some testing kits offer to process the mother’s DNA as well, which could improve the accuracy of the result should you include it.
Is it safe to collect samples from an infant for use in a paternity test?
A.Absolutely. Paternity tests collect samples using cheek swabs, which are not dangerous to the infant or the possible parents.
If the alleged father is deceased, is there still a way to perform a paternity test?
A.Traditional paternity tests require a sample of the alleged father’s DNA. If you happen to have such a sample, you can find a test that can use it, whatever form it may be. If you don’t have a direct sample, you could also perform a sibling DNA test if the alleged father had other children. However, these results are not as accurate or definitive as traditional paternity tests.
The results of the paternity test can have an immense impact on the relations between the couple, their child and the entire family. That is why it is very important to take this process seriously and make sure that you order a reliable paternity test service that will conduct the test according to all standards and regulations. The best paternity test services are those that work with accredited labs that meet the highest ethical and medical standards. It is highly important that once you complete your order for a paternity test, you follow the instructions given by your chosen laboratory precisely.