Cervical traction devices have been used for years to relax the muscles and provide relief from neck pain caused by muscle spasms, degenerative disc disease, disc bulging, or cervical radiculopathy (irritation of the nerves in the neck). Cervical traction is commonly used with chiropractic treatments such as spinal adjustments.
Our 5 Favorite Cervical Traction Device
Best Cervical Traction Device In 2022
1. The Original Neck Hammock Portable Cervical Traction Device for Neck Pain
Created by a doctor and physical therapist, the Neck Hammock was an invention born out of necessity. While neck and back stretches and exercises can help tremendously, we always see that cervical traction is what gives our patients the most relief.
The problem is that most cervical traction equipment is too expensive and too bulky to take with you on the go. With the Neck Hammock, you’ve got an amazingly relaxing and relieving cervical traction method that you can easily take with you anywhere.
- The Original Neck Hammock is a patented cervical traction assistant that works by gently pulling the head away from the neck to stretch and decompress the spinal cord, which increases bloodflow, oxegenates the surrounding muscles, decreases pain, and increases mobility of the neck and shoulders.
- The Neck Hammock takes only 10 minutes a day and is the easiest, most portable, one-size-fits-all solution for your back and neck troubles – perfect for athletes, long flights, business trips, long work days, and more!
- The patented straps are designed to wrap around any door, railing, or pole, giving you the flexibility to use the Neck Hammock wherever you want – no more laborious setup or oversized equipment
- Comes with 2 sewn-in, medical-grade adjustable straps for customizable comfort & maximum durability.
- The Neck Hammock was created by Dr. Steve Sudell Jr., a licensed physical therapist with over a decade of experience in physical rehabilitation. U.S. Pat. Nos. 10,307,284, D824,035, D845,492, D845,493, and D845,494.
2. Neck Stretcher for Neck Pain Relief
Insert the sponge cushion into the neck stretcher and adjust the arch point.Keep the arch support on a stable and fixed position for easy installation.Press the shelf to align the slot, adjust and slip gently into the appropriate gear.
- This neck and upper back stretcher is designed for people who suffer from migraines, neck pain, stiff neck, upper back sore, etc. Associated with consistent use, it will efficiently on neck pain relief, migraine release, upper back muscles fatigue decompresses.
- Ergonomic design neck and shoulder relaxer to stretch and realign your spine. When you lay on it, it matches the curvature of spine to offer correct posture. 4 adjustable settings for use so that fit for all ages and ability. You can fix this cervical traction device at the most comfortable level for easy stretching and effective pain relief.
- Acupuncture Massage for upper back relax. The acupuncture points target your upper back and shoulders gently. Lay on it, it offers tissue massage to release the fatigue in your muscles and enhance the blood circulation.
- This neck support chiropractic pillow is made of tough and durable ABS material which can bear up to 330lbs. The foam cushion and neck massager pressure point let you exercise in a comfortable and give a good protection to your spinal.
- This neck stretcher is Lightweight and portable. Great for use at home, at the gym etc. Just 5-15 minutes a day, reduce neck and head pain. Ideal gift for those who suffering neck pain.
3. easyGiraffe Cervical Neck Traction Device & Neck Stretcher
Wouldn’t it be great to have a physical therapist at hand to treat your neck pain whenever you need it? At home, while sitting at your computer at the office or when traveling? Soothe neck and cervical pain quickly and easily with the easyGiraffe Cervical Neck Traction Device?
Neck pain can severely affect the quality of your life. It can limit your mobility, affect your sleep, distract you from your work and make daily tasks like getting dressed and driving difficult and uncomfortable.
Save time and money on medication, expensive physical therapy treatment and trips to the chiropractor.
Made from super-soft, skin-friendly flannel the easyGiraffe air neck traction pillow lengthens or stretches the muscles and joints around the neck which increases blood circulation resulting in decompressing pinched nerves and alleviating pain from joints, sprains, and spasms.
Unlike over-the-door or mechanical neck traction devices, ours comes ready to use and to use wherever you are. Quality and safety are our top priorities. Designed in Europe, easyGiraffe is recommended by the former physical therapist for Austria’s top soccer team, FC Red Bull Salzburg.
- Enjoy rapid neck pain relief with this chiropractor-recommended neck extender. Made from super-soft, skin-friendly material the inflatable neck stretcher offers chronic neck pain relief and spine alignment.
- By inflating the neck decompression collar you control the amount of stretch your neck needs. With two velcro straps, you adjust the tightness of the device so it won’t cut your breath.
- The deflated neck relaxer can easily be packed in your bag or suitcase so that you can stretch your neck on the go wherever you are. No assembly is required. Enjoy the relief the neck decompressor brings to you!
- Our Neck Traction is tested against leading neck stretchers and is designed to relieve cervical pain and tension. It helps to relieve headaches, stiffness, or dizziness and corrects sitting posture. Fits neck sizes from 12” to 17”. (around the neck)
- If for any reason you are not 100% happy with your neck relief device we offer you a full refund. If you have any questions about this product or how to use it, please contact us. We will reply within 24 hours.
4. ComfortTrac Deluxe Home Cervical Traction Kit 2.0
The latest and greatest ComforTrac, with improved design and function. ComforTrac 2.0 Deluxe, with Carrying Case: Home Treatment for Neck Pain – from Herniated Discs, Osteoarthritis, Spondylosis, Muscle Spasms, Degenerated Discs. Provides cervical decompression. HOME SYSTEM – Relieve neck pain using cervical traction at home. DRUG-FREE PAIN RELIEF – A natural pain reliever for degenerative disc disease, cervicalgia, herniated discs, bulging discs, radiculopathies, and many other cervical problems. The patented product comes with contouring adjustable neck wedges for a custom fit that secures the neck while providing cervical traction. For those who have compression of the cervical spine, ComforTrac provides decompression that can help eliminate pain from the very first use.
ComforTrac 2.0 features adjustable neck cushions that slide in and out for custom fit; quick release allows the user to immediately release all pressure, increasing safety and convenience, ComforTrac allows three angles of traction at 10, 15 and 20 degrees with no additional parts, attachments, or accessories required; width of neck wedges are independently adjustable; unit comes with a lightweight carrying case. Provides up to 50 lb of traction.
- Relieve neck pain using cervical traction in the privacy of your own home
- A natural pain reliever for degenerative disc disease, cervicalgia, herniated discs, bulging discs, radiculopathies, and many other back problems
- This patented product comes with contouring adjustable neck cradle for a custom fit that secures the neck while providing cervical traction
- For those who have compression of the cervical spine, ComforTrac provides decompression that can help eliminate pain from the very first use
- Use up to 50 lbs of force with a patented quick release pump. Easily adjust the angle of incline to 10, 15 and 20 degrees.
5. Cervical Neck Traction Device by Eazy Comfort
The Cervical Neck Traction Device by Eazy Comfort provides complete neck support and stretches the neck muscles while relieving neck, head and shoulder pain. The Eazy-Comfort cervical traction device provides traction to help reduce pressure on pinched nerves, relieving pain caused by compression, strain or herniated discs. The device helps restore proper vertebral alignment and increases blood flow to the muscle areas of the neck.
- ARE YOU HURTING? WE CAN HELP YOU GET BACK TO LIVING THE BEST YOU with our Cervical Neck Traction Device. Our Customers have found that it helps REDUCE or ELIMINATE head, neck and shoulder pain and spasms, tension, pinched nerves, herniated disks, headaches, spinal decompression, Occipital Neuralgia, and even Arthritis and Spina Bifida. Our Air Neck Therapy Collar helps RESTORE POSTURE and improve the cervical curve. In some cases it has reduced or even eliminated their need to see a chiropractor
- Top of the Line Inflatable Neck Pillow is made with the highest quality PREMIUM FABRIC that is so comfortable you won’t want to take it off, made with precision craftsmanship, and a high quality pump, so that you will have a device that not only delivers results but makes it an enjoyable and comfortable experience
- THE NECK STRETCHER BRACE RELIEVES TENSION in your nerves and is SOFT AND LIGHT WEIGHT which makes it very EASY TO TRANSPORT AND GREAT FOR TRAVELING in a suitcase, purse, or backpack and set it up anytime anywhere you may find yourself needing some relief. Inflate the device to fit your unique needs. Contains step by step ILLUSTRATED DIRECTIONS to ensures you get the most out of your cervical collar.
- A very good Neck pain reliever, works great at home or on the road
- IF YOU ARE IN PAIN form being hunched over your computer or phone our neck hammock can help you relieve pain and help your stressed and tight muscles relax.
How is Cervical Traction Done?
There are several different ways to perform cervical traction at home on your own or with the help of a physical therapist. Your physical therapist will help you decide what the best method for your case is. Your therapist may also recommend the use of cervical traction equipment that you will use at home. It is important to note that cervical devices are available online, and in the supply store, they may require you to have a prescription. With the help of your physical therapist, you will learn how to use the device before you can safely try it on your own at home.
You must check with your doctor regardless of whether you are performing the treatment at home. He or she will measure your progress, ensure that you are doing the right treatment, and adjust your therapy where necessary.
Manual Cervical Traction
A physical therapist typically does this treatment. Lying down, your physical therapist will gently pull your head away from your neck. They will hold this position for a stipulated amount of time before releasing and doing it again. Your physical therapist, on the other hand, will make adjustments to your exact positioning to get the best results.
Mechanical Cervical traction
A physical therapist can perform this procedure. A harness is attached to your head and your neck while you lie flat on your back. The harness will hook up to a machine or s system of weights that will then apply a traction force to pull your head away from your neck and spine.
Over-the-door cervical traction
This treatment is done with the use of an over the door traction device at home. You need to place your neck and head onto a harness. It is then joined to a rope that is part of a weighted pulley system that runs over a door. This procedure can be performed seated, lying down or leaning back.
Side Effects and Warnings
Generally, it is safe to perform cervical traction. However, it’s important to remember the results will be different from one individual to the other. The treatment must also be pain-free. Patients should expect possibilities of symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, and headaches adjusting their body in such a manner. In rare cases, it could lead to fainting. In case you experience any of these side effects, it is advisable that you stop the treatment, and discuss them with your doctor or physical therapist.
During cervical traction treatment, it’s possible for patients to injure their spine, neck, or tissue. In case you have the following conditions, you should avoid cervical traction treatment:
- Post-surgery hardware such as screws in the neck
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spinal hypermobility
- Known tumor in your neck region
- Recent fracture or injury in the neck area
- A bone infection
- Cervical instability
Affected individuals must follow any necessary safety instructions and recommendations that may be provided by the doctor or manufacturer. It is essential that you perform the movement correctly and use the appropriate amount of weight. Don’t exert yourself by doing the cervical traction treatment for too long. It’s advisable to discontinue the use if you experience any irritation or pain or if your symptoms get worse.
Factors Affecting the Efficacy of Cervical Traction
Three main factors determine the effectiveness of cervical traction:
- The strength of pressure that is applied to the affected areas
- The direction of the traction force
- The duration and frequency of the therapy sessions
For quality results, it is advisable to consult the services of a licensed medical practitioner to offer the appropriate instructions and details for treatment using the cervical traction procedure.
Strength of the Pressure
The application of the force to the cervical discs mustn’t be forced. This is because the inner-vertebral discs are small, fragile, and generally unstable. During the first use, patients need to know the strength and force that is required to alleviate the pain symptoms.
In case the minimum applicable force does not alleviate the pain symptoms in the affected areas, then the device needs to be adjusted until the desired strength is achieved. Moreover, the application of the pressure and the determination of the appropriate force needs to be performed gradually. It will help minimize the adverse effects, maximizing the benefits of the traction procedure.
The Direction of Traction
In case you are suffering from neck pains, there’s a possibility of having constant cervical joint spasms. This effect is due to the cervical spine extension, which increases root irritation. The typical reaction to this is to flex the spine vertically to relieve the expansion of the cervical spine. The result of this effect is the distraction of the spaces of the cervical spine and the correction of posture, reducing the patient’s pain.
The cervical traction process also replicates this kind of maneuver. It offers proper spine alignment and posture to individuals alleviating the pain. It is due to this reason that the direction of the traction is vital to getting relief from cervical spine misalignment. Furthermore, the patient will need to sit up straight as traction is applied vertically through a pulling mechanism.
The Duration and Frequency of Therapy
It is important to note that the duration and the frequency of the cervical traction procedure mainly depend on its results. In case the patient does not achieve relief through a short traction time, the process may be extended until relief is obtained.
The Cervical traction therapy procedure needs to be frequent, especially in the initial stages of treatment. The sessions can be reduced in case the cervical pains become more infrequent. Traction can continue later if need be or can be discontinued if spinal pain does not reoccur.
Cervical Traction Exercises
There are a variety of cervical traction exercises that can be done using a cervical traction device. Make sure you listen to your body. Go to your threshold and edge in terms of stretching and the duration of the exercises. To use the air neck traction device, wrap it around your neck and adjust the straps as needed. Pump the device and wear it for around 20 to 30 minutes. You can do this a few times a day. If possible, wear this device while doing activities that would force you to slouch.
Frequently Asking Question
Do Cervical Neck Traction Collars Work?
Cervical traction may be a safe, wonderfully effective way for you to resolve neck pain. It may provide you with numerous improvements to your body, inspiring you to do it often. Ideally, it will be effective in relieving neck pain and enhancing your overall function.
Are Neck Traction Devices Safe?
Though we recommend professional treatment when it comes to neck traction, there are some basic exercises that can help alleviate neck pain while at home. Most importantly: they’re safe.
Are Neck Stretchers Good for You?
Neck movement in itself can help relieve tension and pain. It also helps to increase blood flow, which, in turn, accelerates healing and helps to reduce inflammation. Used regularly, a neck stretcher can relieve neck swelling due to injury, increase range of movement, and help to promote normal function.
Can You Sleep With Neck Traction?
No! It is not advised to sleep with a cervical traction device on your neck. Most treatment protocols recommend a maximum use time of 20-minutes. Prolonged use beyond this recommendation may result in increased pain, stiffness, and possible injury.
How Often Should You do Cervical Traction?
Duration of cervical traction can range from a few minutes to 20 to 30 min, once or twice weekly to several times per day. Anecdotal evidence suggests efficacy and safety, but there is no documentation of efficacy of cervical traction beyond short-term pain reduction.
How Many Pounds of Pressure do You Need for Cervical Traction?
It appears that at least 25–30 pounds of force are required to produce measurable separation of the cervical vertebrae. The traction force must be at least the weight of the head to produce any significant decompression.
A cervical traction device is an excellent alternative to physical therapy or surgery for neck pain and related injuries. According to statistics, a large number of people start with the help of several methods to deal with neck issues. Most often, the ways that are utilized are physical. Whether we like it or not, physical therapy is a significant part of any treatment plan and can provide years of relief. But sometimes the use of traction is less invasive than other treatments, and it sometimes provides gobs fewer side effects.