If you wear braces, stopping in at the orthodontist for a checkup is just another part of your hectic routine. You signed up for all the brackets, wires, and appointments because it’s completely worth it to get the dazzling, perfect smile you’ve always dreamed of. But, would you be excited to learn you can shorten the length of time to achieve that smile? It’s possible with a new device called OrthoPulse.
What Is OrthoPulse?
OrthoPulse is an FDA-approved, state-of-the-art treatment called photobiomodulation, or light-accelerated orthodontics. Used with traditional braces or Invisalign, OrthoPulse uses light energy to stimulate movement of bone tissue below the gum line, reducing the amount of time necessary for you to wear braces.
How Does OrthoPulse Work?
OrthoPulse looks like a plastic sports mouth guard, but that’s where the similarities end. You insert the device into your mouth for just 10 minutes allowing the infrared light to stimulate bone movement at the tooth roots. This helps your teeth reach their intended placement much sooner than wearing braces alone. Wearing the appliance is easy, comfortable, and you can wear it while watching TV or scrolling through social media.
What Are Some of the Features of OrthoPulse?
An OrthoPulse device features:
- A one-size-fits-all waterproof mouthpiece made from medical grade silicone
- An LED light source that emits a safe 850 nm of infrared light
- An accelerometer that times each session without the need for wires or other equipment
- A battery that can be charged wirelessly
- Bluetooth capability to track treatments
- Status indicator to show how much time is left for a treatment and to display battery life
- Free app with iPhone or Android devices to allow you and your orthodontist to track treatment progress
How Much Time Can I Save Using OrthoPulse?
Each orthodontic case is different. Some patients have major tooth and bite misalignments, while others wear braces for cosmetic benefits. Consult with your orthodontist to find out how long you’ll need to use OrthoPulse to achieve your best smile faster.
Who’s a Good Candidate for OrthoPulse?
Anyone who wears traditional braces or plastic aligners like Invisalign can use OrthoPulse.
You’re a good candidate if:
- You wear traditional braces or plastic aligners
- You’d like to reduce the amount of time you need to wear braces
- You can commit to using the OrthoPulse device daily for 10 minutes
How Do I Care for My OrthoPulse?
It’s so simple. After using the device, rinse with warm water and let air dry. You can also wipe it clean with a cleansing cloth. Your orthodontist will give you specific instructions on how to use OrthoPulse including how to properly charge the device.